Health and Safety Records in Steel Sector
The Minister of State for Steel and Mines, Shri Vishnu Deo Sai has said that the steel industry has been classified as hazardous process industry as per the Factories Act, 1948. Hazards mainly emanate from extremely high temperature process involving liquid hot metal/slag, generation of by-product gases which have toxic and explosive constituents, large amount of material handling/transporting, fire, electricity, hit/caught/pressed by moving/rotating machines, working at height etc.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha today, Shri Vishnu Deo Sai said that Steel is a deregulated sector and individual steel manufacturing companies enforce health and safety procedures in their respective plants/units. Considering the provisions of the Factories Act,1948 and OHSAS-18001, Public Sector Undertakings viz. Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) and Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL) have formulated Occupational Health and Safety Policy for health and safety of workers which inter-alia includes safety training, safety audits, incident analysis & rectification measures etc.
Related Press Releases
- Ministry of Steel and UNDP project on energy efficiency in steel re-rolling expanded from 34 to 300 steel re-rolling units across India Improved energy efficiency in steel re-rolling sector result
- Review of Safety and Security of Steel Plants
- HPCL and BPCL Bag Highest number of Awards OISD Safety Awards 2011-12 Presented; Dr. Moily calls for creating incident & injury –free work environment in Oil & Gas Sector Adopt Best Safety Pra
- Shri J P Nadda stresses on the role of research in strengthening health sector “IT can be a crucial enabler in addressing health issues”
- Universal Health Assurance to galvanise Health Care sector Dr Harsh Vardhan tells CII to prepare for “next revolution”
- Mining Lease in Tribal Areas
- Unemployed due to Closure of Industries
Search for PIB News
The contents of this website is sourced from press releases issued by the Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. The official PIB website is at www.pib.nic.in