Steel and Mines Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar’s Maiden RSP Visit
SAIL has operationalized the new integrated steelmaking facilities under the ongoing modernization and expansion programme at Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP). With commencement of country’s second biggest Blast furnace ‘Durga’ in August 2013, RSP has more than doubled its Hot Metal Capacity from a level of 2 MTPA to 4.5 MTPA. The Union Minister of Steel and Mines, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar made his maiden visit to Rourkela Steel Plant on February 1, 2015 to witness the integrated functioning of the modernized Plant. He was accompanied by Chairman SAIL, Shri CS Verma, Joint Secretary, Steel, Shri Sunil Barthwal and other SAIL Directors.
During the visit, the Minister inaugurated the rolling facilities of the new 4300 mm wide state-of-the-art Plate Mill. The new plate mill is one of the widest plate mills in the country with latest features enabling it to roll plates of very high strength (API X 100). The mill includes advanced features like computerized control system for Plan View Rolling (PVR) process to maximize yield and high capacity levellers with hydraulic control to produce distortion free plates. The mill has a capacity of 1.0 Million Tonne (MTPA) with provision for expanding it to 1.8 MTPA in future.
Addressing the workforce of RSP during his visit, Shri Tomar said “I am very happy to be here amongst the RSP collective. I want to congratulate them for putting their best foot forward for quick stabilization of all facilities. I am sure they will do their best for ramping up production from the newly operationalized facilities further to reap full benefits of the modernization.”
The Minister also reviewed the CSR activities undertaken by RSP under Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan. He was happy to note that SAIL’s RSP Plant has taken up ‘Swachha Vidyalay Abhiyan’ in a big way by targeting to construct 355 toilets in various schools during the year. He laid the foundation stone for construction of a toilet block as a part of the Swachhata Abhiyan in Jhirpani high school. The Minister also laid the Foundation Stone for the construction of an Art Gallery in Nehru Traffic Park.
Related Press Releases
- Telangana CM calls on Mines & Steel Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar Shri Tomar proposes constituting a Task Force to explore mining and steel avenues in the state
- Mines & Steel Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar Chairs Consultative Committee on Steel
- Steel & Mines Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurates ‘’Steel Pavilion’ at IITF
- Union Steel & Mines Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar Chairs Meeting to Provide Academic Backbone to Iron and Steel Industry
- Union Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar Meets Chief Minister, Odisha Shri Naveen Patnaik to take Forward Steel & Mines Sector in the State
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 53.83 per bbl on 03.02.2015
- 52nd General Council Meeting of NCERT Held NCERT to Publish Book on Brave Heroes-Veergatha
Search for PIB News
The contents of this website is sourced from press releases issued by the Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. The official PIB website is at www.pib.nic.in