News Services Division’s Free AIR News SMS service reaches over six lakh people
Registration for the free AIR News on SMS service of the News Services Division (NSD) of All India Radio (AIR) has crossed six lakh. The SMS service in English was launched on 9th September, 2013 and the database reached to about 3 lakhs by August, 2014. NSD started sending news headlines through SMS in nine more languages in September and October, 2014 and testing for six more languages is almost complete.
In September 2014, the free News SMS service was extended to Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, Dogri and Nepali. Within a short span of a month, nearly one lakh people registered for the Service. Four more regional languages namely Gujarati, Tamil, Malayalam, and Assamese were added to the SMS service in October, 2014.
In this service, NSD has been providing national/international news headlines through SMS in 16 languages namely Gujarati, Assamese, Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, Marathi, Dogri, Sanskrit, Nepali, English, Bengali, Odia, Urdu, Punjabi, Arunachali and Kashmiri. As a next step, NSD is planning to expand the service to its Regional News Units (RNUs) for giving local news in regional languages on SMS.
One can register for the service either by sending an SMS in the format AIR <space><language code> to 7738299899 or by filling up online form at www.newsonair.nic.in/smservice.
The language codes are GJ-Gujarati, AS-Assamese, TM-Tamil, ML-Malayalam, HI-Hindi, MH-Marathi, DO-Dogri, SK-Sanskrit, NP-Nepali and EN-English. Codes for six upcoming languages for this service are: BN-Bengali, OD-Odia, UR-Urdu, PN-Punjabi, AL-Arunachali, KS-Kashmiri.
Related Press Releases
- Government initiated innovative approaches to reach out to the people through multiple media platforms: Prakash Javadekar Minister launches Free AIR News SMS Service in 4 Indian languages News SMS
- I&B Ministry issues Advisory to News Channels for carrying Live telecast of the Independence Day Flag Hoisting Ceremony News Channels advised to carry signals of DD News with sign Language interpre
- Need for more wire News Agencies in the Media Sector - Manish Tewari I&B Minister Participates at the 52nd Anniversary Celebrations of United News of India
- I&B Minister launches Bharat Nirman Web portal – www.bharat-nirman.in and AIR News free SMS service Presents a Comprehensive Analysis of the “Glimpses of the India Story”-Multi-Media Initiat
- Shri Tewari Unveils New Logo of Employment News Minister also Launches E-Version of Urdu Employment News ‘India -2013’ and ‘Bharat- 2013’ Released at World Book Fair
- Rotation of CSS Officers
- Skill Training For Unemployed Youth
Search for PIB News
The contents of this website is sourced from press releases issued by the Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. The official PIB website is at www.pib.nic.in