Policy to Boost Performance Of Steel Sector
Ministry of Steel regularly reviews the performance of its Public Sector Undertakings. In these meetings, the issues of CPSEs pending to be taken up with other Ministries / Departments as also with other State Governments are identified / flagged and pursued.
Steel is a de-regulated sector and the role of Government is that of a facilitator only and hence Government has no control over the performance of private sector steel industry.
Government has issued Mines & Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Ordinance, 2015 and the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Ordinance, 2014 which would facilitate the availability of raw materials to various sectors including Steel sector.
Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) has undertaken modernization and expansion of its five integrated steel plants at Bhilai, Bokaro, Rourkela, Durgapur & Burnpur and special steel plant at Salem to enhance its crude steel production capacity from 12.8 Mtpa to 21.4 Mtpa in the current phase. The indicative investment for current Phase of Modernization & Expansion works out to Rs. 61,870 crore. Besides, provision of Rs.10,264 crore has been made towards investment in existing mines & development of Rowghat mine.
The expansion project at Salem Steel Plant has been completed and all facilities under the integrated process route at Rourkela and IISCO Steel Plants are in operation, stabilization and ramp-up.
At Bokaro, Durgapur and Bhilai Steel Plants, operation has started from completed facilities.
RINL has undertaken Modernisation and Expansion plan at an estimated cost of about Rs.14701 Crore. Units under stage-1 expansion have been commissioned and are in regular operation.
This information was given by Minister of State Sh. Vishnu Deo Sai in reply to a question Rajya Sabha today.
Related Press Releases
- Performance of Steel Sector
- Ministry of Steel and UNDP project on energy efficiency in steel re-rolling expanded from 34 to 300 steel re-rolling units across India Improved energy efficiency in steel re-rolling sector result
- E M S Natchiappan Convenes Performance Review Meeting of EPCES Steps Suggested to Boost Exports from SEZs
- Performance of Steel Companies
- Exports key to the success of Make In India initiative – Nirmala Sitharaman Government to set up an Advisory Committee to suggest key measures to boost export performance.
- Iron Ore Exported From the Country
- Pending Registrations Under DBTL Scheme
Search for PIB News
The contents of this website is sourced from press releases issued by the Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. The official PIB website is at www.pib.nic.in