Reservation Facilities Provided to Senior Citizen and Female Passengers Including Pregnant Women Reservation Facilities Provided to Senior Citizen and Female Passengers Including Pregnant Women
With a view to facilitating provisions of lower berths to senior citizens and female passengers, following facilities are available:-
(i) There is a provision in the computerised Passenger Reservation System (PRS) to allot lower berth automatically to male passengers above the age of 60 years and female passengers above the age of 45 years subject to availability of the same at the time of booking of ticket.
(ii) A combined reservation quota of two lower berths per coach is earmarked in Sleeper, AC 3Tier and AC 2Tier for following category of passengers when travelling alone:
a. Senior citizens;
b. Female passengers 45 years of age and above; and
c. Pregnant women.
(iii) Instructions are also there to assist senior citizens and physically handicapped persons who have been allotted middle/upper berths by allotting them vacant lower berths available in the train by the ticket checking staff on first come first served basis (after making necessary entry in the reservation chart).
(iv) A six berths compartment in Sleeper Class is also earmarked in long distance Mail/Express trains for female passengers.
(v) It has now been decided that:-
· The existing combined quota of two lower berths per coach in Sleeper class earmarked for senior citizens, female passengers 45 years of age and above and pregnant women (when travelling alone) may be enhanced to four lower berths per coach. There will, however, be no change in this quota being earmarked in 3A and 2A classes.
· The scope of instructions regarding assisting senior citizens and physically handicapped persons in getting lower berths in the train has been expanded to include pregnant women also. Hence, onboard ticket checking staff are now authorised to allot vacant lower berths available in the train to senior citizens, physically handicapped persons and pregnant women (who have been allotted middle/upper berths), on approach, on first come first served basis after making necessary entry in the chart.
· It has also been decided that the existing reservation quota of six berths for female passengers being earmarked in long distance Mail/Express trains should be in the middle of the coach and also to the extent feasible, the senior citizen quota should be earmarked in the middle of the coach.
Related Press Releases
- Reservation for women in direct recruitment in Non-Gazetted posts in police forces of all Union Territories including Delhi Police
- Central government keen about 50% reservation for women in urban local bodies; talks on with states, says Shri Venkaiah Naidu Efforts on to build consensus on reservation for women in Parliament and
- States Asked to Speed up Development of SC/OBC/Senior Citizen and Rehabilitation of Drug Addict Says Minister for SJE
- Cash Assistance to Pregnant and Lactating Women
- Unicef Proposal for Treating HIV-Positive Pregnant Women
- I & B Ministry bags Platinum icon in Web Ratna Awards 2014 Awarded in Comprehensive Web Presence Category
- President of India’s message on the eve of National Day of Bangladesh
Search for PIB News
The contents of this website is sourced from press releases issued by the Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. The official PIB website is at www.pib.nic.in